Sunday, May 22, 2011

"you are what your friend's religion"

Assalamualaikum warahmatullahi wabarakatuh everyone!

I was watching this...



and got inspired to write this post cause I kept nodding my head in agreement. lol it only takes 30 minutes of your time :)

I remember the day I started wearing the hijab every
day, my palm was sweating and my heart was beating so fast but I was not covering my feet..

I remember the day I wore sheer socks and gradually changed to thicker socks...

I remember the day I packed up all my dvds and fictional books and deleted my itunes

I remember the day I gave up my nose and tragus piercings

lol and the list goes on and on.... well you get the idea :P

When I first "changed" there was definitely a lot different reactions. I mean a lot

You let the good in with the bad. There was definitely some mocking,teasing,staring, whispering,awkward moments and "semi-mean comments". lol lol lol

but we can't let all these things get under our skin, that is basically what syaitaan wants...

like when you're wearing pants that are 2 sizes bigger (for the sisters) and made you look like a potato sack and you're scared what people would think of you?

I mean it's natural to feel this way, really but we have to look at the bigger picture and humble ourselves to our creator because only his opinion matters and everything else is...nothing.

so you're not alone :) All I can say is don't take things personally and just...shrug it off and forgive them and trust me you will feel so much better.

Facing your friends can be awkward but you're changing for the better and if they're not supportive of your decision then I don't think it's the best decision to stay although I would opt. for 'influencing' them first :P If you get my drift. lol



I'm not sure which lecture was it but I do remember Nouman Ali Khan said "you are what your friend's religion" or somewhere along that line and I completely agree with this, we all know our friends does have a huge influence on you, whether you realize it or not and honestly I took me awhile to realize it as well but anyhoo all I'm trying to say is that do find friends who truly appreciate you and help you to be a better servant to the creator.

I shall study now. ba-bye!